Osclaye domain is located only two kilometers far from the medieval village of Montbrun les bains, ranked among the most beautiful villages in France.
MONTBRUN LES BAINS VILLAGE
Montbrun les bains is a medieval village, situated on the borders of Vaucluse, Drôme and Alpes-de-Haute-Provence in the Parc Naturel Régional des BaronniesProvençales, created in 2014. It is one amongst the 100 most beautiful villages in France. The village, thanks to its altitude, is not affected by the summer heat wave. The hilly landscape also protects the location from the Mistral wind. It is labelled “green station”, first label of ecotourism in France.
Located between Lure mountain and Mont Ventoux, the Drôme river becomes Provençale and covers with lavenders, scrublands and vineyards. The high facades of the village’s houses, scattered on a steep slope which rises about 600 meters high, become the final defence against the remains of an old medieval castle rebuilt during Renaissance period before being ransacked during the French Revolution. From the Place de l’Horloge and its bell tower to the Portail Sainte-Marie, you can reach, through narrow calades and from fountain to fountain, the 12thcentury church, which houses an outstanding Baroque altar and several paintings.
The Parc Naturel Régional des BaronniesProvençales, created in 2014, is the realm of lavender, thyme and rosemary scents, at the crossroads from Alpes and Provence.
The Provençale Drôme, surrounded with cliffs inhabited by large birds of prey (among which, vultures), harbours an amazing biodiversity !More than 149 natural habitat areas live together and encourage the development of an estimated 2000 vegetal species (among which, 22 are considered as a priority in terms of preservation) and 203 animal species, protected at national or regional level.
A few remains of Prehistoric habitat, Romans using the village’s water for its properties, a Barony that ruled during several centuries, Charles Dupuy Montbrun…
- The Tourist Office offers a guided tour of the village every Tuesday.
- During high season in Montbrun les bains, the Bar à Thym and the William’s frequently organize concerts. The church holds classical music concerts and the place du Beffroi is busy with all sorts of performances.
- On the first Sunday of July, the celebration of the Ferrassières lavender (Fête de la lavande de Ferrassières) declares the beginning of the lavender harvest.
- Every August 15th, the celebration of the Sault lavender (Fête de la lavande de Sault) brings the end of harvest.
- Every first Sunday in September, the Natural Wellness Day (Bien être au Naturel) takes place in Montbrun les Bains.
- The weekly market takes place every Saturday morning :fresh, healthy and organic food, local producers, sellers and craftsmen,..
- Every Tuesday at 4:00 pm, from mid-May to mid-September, come and enjoy the local market of Hautes Baronnies producers.
This is where you will find all the tourist information :
A few videos to learn more about the village of Montbrun les bains :